Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pages from My Journal: Disputes and Arguments Over Words

1-29-12

Today during Bible class there arose a small contention between Saulo and Domingo concerning Jude 22, 23. They disputed as to whether or not "those that doubt" refers to those within or without the church. Domingo espoused the former and Saulo the latter. I could not help but think the discussion to be wholly unfruitful and much like the "disputes and arguments over words" against which Paul so wisely warned Timothy. In both cases, whether Jude referred to those within or without the church, they are in need of mercy, compassion, and salvation from the fire of which they are in danger.

Second, the congregation is wholly made of new Christians and it seems imprudent to me to squabble over crumbs in the presence of new believers. I very much respect Domingo's dedication to truth, but in him I see my former self. At that time my love for truth had been corrupted, imperceptibly, into a prideful (though neither he nor I would recognize it as pride) desire to be found "right." We would rather defend our actions "in the cause of truth." But, though truth be precious, is all truth necessary? Either to know or to be defended? Must a man know all the truth and nothing but the truth? No man can know all the truth, and I find it equally unlikely that a man can escape this life without some misunderstanding having crept in. It is unlikely that all the knowledge which he has obtained would be true in all its facets.

I increasingly find such disputes sour to my taste and wish that the Lord's most holy church were rid of them. I pray, Lord, that Thou wilt give me the wisdom and humility to avoid involvement in such disputes and to love Thy church as Thy body, Thine own flesh and blood.

What truths are necessary? What truths must be known and defended against corruption? What truths affect the salvation of man's soul? These questions, though the three at their root are one, have become increasingly troublesome to my spirit. We must buy truth and sell it not, and at the same time, we must avoid disputes over words which do gender strife.

What's more, with each day I do think increasingly that the church of our Lord, the church of Christ, bought with His own blood (and how precious a price), the universal body of disciples, the Way, established that first Pentecost following our Lord's resurrection, is guilty of involving itself in such disputes. I feel that it is guilty of treating things which are not, as if they were; that it is straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel. We are taking care to count our spices but neglecting love, mercy, and justice. God have mercy on our souls.

"What doth it profit to argue about hidden and dark things, concerning which we shall not be even reproved in the judgment, because we knew them not? Oh, grievous folly, to neglect the things which are profitable and necessary, and to give our minds to things which are curious and hurtful! Having eyes, we see not." The Imitation of Christ, chp. III, .1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers